In the dark cold wet days I like to stay warm with a good lunch. Some of the best meals are made with what is left in the fridge. This recipe was born from half a tin of left over chopped tomatoes a wrinkling pepper and ½ courgette.
This is the time of year when the weather is changing and most athletes are increasing their training volume, so a perfect combination to pick up an infection. With the prawns (high in Zinc & Omega-3), peppers (very high in Vitamin C) and rice (a great source of fuel), this dish is packed full of what you need to solidify your immune defenses.
- I had a few frozen prawns but chicken is perfect too
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1 red onion
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- ½ tin chopped tomatoes
- 600ml veg stock
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 tsp smokey paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Coconut oil
- Dice the peppers and courgette. Put on a baking tray with a splash of olive oil and put in the oven for 20mins @180C.
- Boil the kettle and make the stock.
- Chop the onion and garlic and sautée in the pan with coconut oil.
- Add the rice and stir before adding 100ml stock and the tomatoes with the paprika & cumin. Continue to add the stock in small amounts allowing it to absorb before adding more. Keep stirring. You may need extra stock depending on how long it takes for the rice to cook. Try to get to a sticky consistency before turning off the heat
- Once the rice is soft add the vegetables, cherry tomatoes and prawns or, if using chicken, the cooked chicken.